A very good morning to all my readers,
I want to open my article with a BIG thank you to all of you and for your wonderful feedback, emails and texts received!
As promised from my last week article, I will share with you what I have personally learnt since the beginning of the year, I have learnt most of these lessons from mainly two of my passions in life, from dealing with difficult situations and negative events which occurred to me in the past months and last but not least thank to the experiences by dealing with a close friend of mine who I consider to be my bro!
During this period, I came across to this quote and it opened a new perspective in my life: “Be thankful for the bad things in life. For they open your eyes to the good things you were not paying attention to before.” That is so true! If we take the time to think about to what happen in our life with a positive mindset and we analyse and concentrate on what we need to do to get better results, we can monitor our actions against the events presented and as a result, we will become more self-aware about who I am and how to use anything that comes our way to our advantage. Yep, this is what you read…it’s possible believe me! For me having the right mindset makes you open yourself to positive and new experiences, new opportunities and to a new dimension of life!!! And this is the secret of life – there is never a bad day in life only growing days and they are very welcome !!!
Before reading my lessons, last week I have asked you to take a pause for reflection too to analyse your previous months results and compare it with your beginning of the year plan…Have you been diligent and gather your lessons?…if you do, than you are in a privileged position to answer the important questions below, if not, it is still not too late…Take your time to answer the questions below and please don’t rush…this is one of the most important time you can dedicate to achieve your success! And for fun once you have discovered your lessons, please feel free to compare it with mine…let me know how many lessons we had learnt in common
Ready to answer these questions:
What have you learnt from your past months?
What lessons did you gather?
How did you benefit from it?
What could you have improved for better performance and results?
Now that you got your lessons, please read what I have learnt…Don’t forget to compare it and let me know how many we have in common… and with what different prospective too!
You’ll notice that I have written in bold and highlighted some questions after every learning lesson, obviously these questions are for you to answer and be honest with yourself if you want to achieve personal growth and become a better you!
Here my learning points:
– Simplicity : this is the main key to your success! If you can have a simple approach to whatever you are aiming for, you are a step ahead of many and in the top 3% of successful people. I have attended numerous courses on a variety of subjects and the commonality of all of them is to keep things simple and to have a simple plan! Incredible, some of you might think! But, it’s so simple to be simple!
What are the reasons of having a simplistic approach?
You’ll agree with me that we’re continually rushing and striving for more at all times. The simple truth is that we frequently make it harder than it needs to be and many things that cause our hurt and pain are created by …US! The main reason to have a simplistic approach is that it yields positive results as you have clarity on where you are, where you want to go and therefore you are getting faster results. Also as human being, we can become masters of a few simple things rather than a jack of many. I am sure you guys will agree with me on this one! And the result of this approach is that you become better and better as you keep repeating the same thing over and over again that you will become a master at it! And this is not what we all want! It does not meant that you are a simple person and that you don’t have to learn anything new in your life, as you know I am a big fan of self-development but I am ensure that everything I learn goes towards enhancing and simplify my plan and my skills and not to complicate and deviate from my original plan! Is it not what we all want to get the best out of thing with the minimum time and minimum resources?
Ask yourself what you’re really doing with your life. You’re on the go and busy, barely stopping to take a breath. But what are you really accomplishing?
Ask yourself the following questions:
What’s my goal?
How will I know when I’ve achieved it?
How am I measuring my progress?
How well is my current approach working?
Just remember to keep things simple as life really can be simple!
Here are 5 ways to help for living a simple, yet deeper and more authentic life:
1. Decide exactly what you want in each area of your life and be specific. It’s not compelling to say I want to lose weight, you need to decide how much weight you want to lose i.e. 1 stone
2. Chunk down your goal: Anything is doable when you break it down into tiny steps. Try not to overwhelm yourself by looking too far ahead. You don’t need to do everything right now. Do one thing at the time!
3. Prioritise your items on your list into a plan by placing them in an ordered sequence of priority. Eliminate things that overwhelm and drain you! Remember less is more!
4. Write a To-Do list to keep on tract.
5. KISS. Keep it splendidly simple. Stick to your plan & review it periodically to ensure you are still on track!
– Understand who we are and what we really want and go out and get it! You need to have clarity on who you are and what you stand for. Only then you can go in one direction in your life and you know what it is…only forward! This is one of the most important lesson learnt this year, I took myself for granted and I never ponder over what made me successful in life because I knew only one way…but now that I spend more time talking to people, I realised that there are different ways to get to the same point and only when you know what is your success formula which agrees with your values and beliefs than you travel fast forward without hesitation and with full confidence not doubting yourself and making wise decisions…and the most important thing is that you can repeat your success formula in every aspect of your life…it’s a nice place to be in life but it’s never too late to work towards it…
What are your values?
What are you standing for?
What are the reasons of reacting consistently to events in specific ways but cannot explain the reasons behind it?
Are you making a conscious decision or an unconscious reaction?
Just remember that your happiness and success in life flow from becoming clear about who you are and establishing your authentic identity. It’s up to you to grasp your real you as it’s a inner process available only to you! As you become aware of who you are and feel more comfortable in your own skin, other people will be drawn to you and bring you greater opportunity!
Read my article on “What is your Success Formula?” & “Ready to find your Light Bulb Moment?” to find out some of the answers!
– Consistency and Discipline! I think these are the magic words for success! If you want to be successful you need to be consistent by being discipline in your approach both in business and in life! Is it not true that if you do one thing over and over again you get master of it and get consistent results? I am sure that you know this quote:
“It’s not what you do once in a while; it’s what you do day in and day out that makes the difference”.
To be consistent is to be reliable and if you aren’t reliable, no one will be able to trust you. It also equals credibility and credibility is what you need to succeed. You need to live by your word, because if you don’t, no one will trust you and you will lose current clients, potential clients or even potential business deals. Being consistent also means that you don’t give up if a problem or bump in the road comes up. Stay focused on your goal. Find ways around the problem or hurdle and keep in mind that if you really want to achieve something, it’s attainable with perseverance. Make it a point to never lose your credibility!
Consistency is important because keeps you on track! By following a consistent approach and by being discipline by sticking to your plan, you are in the best position to monitor your performance and to evaluate your goals/results against the ones set originally! Now, it does not matter what standards you set, it’s your life and your own business, you can set any you like but when you set them being disciplined and stick to it!
How can you show more consistency?
What can you improve to be more consistent and more disciplined?
How do you monitor and review your consistency and discipline?
Do what you say you will do! This is the secret of success! Take actions to get nearer to your goals, apply discipline to stick to your plan and you will achieve them with little efforts as this is the secret of consistency!
– Choices – Grab the opportunity as fast as you can otherwise someone else will…that’s so true! I was reflecting on how I got where I am today and one of the reasons is that I am very decisive person – I spot opportunities immediately as they present, I set my mind and go for it and most important I take actions to find the way to make it works…it’s a magical process and it works over and over again! A great quote I live by is: “I choose to live by choice, not by chance: to make changes, not excuses; to be motivated, not manipulated; to be useful, not used; to excel, not compete. I choose self-esteem, not self-pity. I choose to listen to my inner voice, not the random opinion of others.”
We have to choose in life – any decision we make even when we don’t take any is a choice and it will affect our future!
What are the reasons of making the choices that you make?
What are the important choices that I am making in my life?
What is the motive that drives each and every one of these choices?
I have just read a quote which relate to this lesson:
“You are surrounded today by the results of yesterday’s choices. Make your choices today with tomorrow in mind”
Read ” The 3 Cs in Success” to expand this subject..Just a reminder of it is two sentences made with those words: “You must make a Choice to take a chance or your life will never Change!” and one of my readers came up with another inspirational one: “Life gives you chances to make those choices that could change your life forever!”.
– Expand outside your comfort zone! Set up your bar high. I am glad I did stretch myself more and more because even if I am failing behind my plans at the moment, I open doors that were not even there…you know what I mean…some opportunities present in front of me and I just grabbed it…At the moment I am in a very interested project that it never went through my mind…I am still try to track it where it came about…it looks like magic, everyone I talked to and approach me for business are talking about the same project…incredible!!!
You need to stretch yourself, to feel the fear and do it anyway, feel uncomfortable to grow and above all you need to test yourself, your mental metal, your confidence level, your skills and abilities to acquire self-awareness of where you are now to be able to enhance them! “The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it but that it is too low and we reach it” – Michelangelo
Just remember that the reasons to challenge yourself is to obtain personal growth, because if you don’t stretch yourself out of your comfort zone, you don’t growth and you don’t stand for something, you’ll never be an achiever!
Have you raised your bar high for this year goals?
So far what have you “stood for and against” this year?
Have you decided in advance what you will tolerate and what you will fight against?
Are you ready to challenge the impossible and stretch yourself out of your comfort zone?
For more details, please read my article on “Ready to challenge the impossible?” & “What are your goals for 2012?”
– Strengths! Use them to your advantage! We spend most of our time working on overcoming our weaknesses and we forget to use our strengths to build our success! Obviously, both are important but we need to identify our strengths and work on it. For example, how the manager of a football team choose the players position during a match? Is it not by the player strengths to ensure that they have a better edge to win the match? We need to use the same concept if we want to be successful in any aspect of our life. Knowing our strengths will make us more self-awareness of ourselves and our qualities which make up who we are! It will be easier to see what actions we could take to maximise on our strengths making us a stronger person overall! It also boost our confidence to overcome obstacles that will present in our way! Please don’t undermine your strengths! I coach a lot of people and for my surprise, when I ask what are their strengths, they find difficult to list them which obviously shows that these are not clear to them!
How are you going to use your strengths if you don’t know what they are?
Believe me, these are the bones of your success! These are the skills and abilities to built your success on! Identifying your strengths is a huge asset to your success! It’s up to you to fully grasp your identity and to use it to your advantage to succeed and to become a better you and look for opportunities to make you the person you want to be!
Just remember that becoming the best you takes action, courage and honesty from your part!
What are my strengths?
What positive action do I need to take to use it to the fullest?
How does my strength affect my decision making?
Read ” Ready for your SWOT analysis?” to expand this subject..
– Strategies! Your plan for action! Without it, we will not take achieve any results! Strategy is determining where you are now, where you want to go, and then how to get there. It’s the art of developing and implementing specific actions and decisions that will enable the business to achieve goals and objectives as set out by its owners. We all need to have a strategy in place if we want to achieve our success to keep us focus and on track! If we don’t have a direction and a scope before we initiate any plan, it will be very difficult to succeed! Business speaking, owing a business isn’t about work, it’s about the strategy. There are two things which separate a successful business from an un-successfully one. Firstly, the everlasting drive and desire to achieve one’s goals, and secondly, the ability to make decisions always keeping one’s goals in mind. In effect, there are people who act strategically and then there is everyone else. And remember that anyone can act strategically if they desire. All you need is the knowledge, the confidence and the support to do so.
What are your strategies to achieve your goals/plans?
How do you measure and monitor the success of your strategy?
How can you improve them to be more effective and efficient?
These are the main lessons that I have learnt as you can notice it has been a quite rollercoaster of emotions and a lot of events took place in the past months and without having clear goals and being motivated to achieve it by having a big WHY to give you the drive to “keep going even when the though get tougher” but the most important thing is that we have learnt vital lessons that will affect our life forever! This is the beauty of life, it always leaves something to learn from to enhance and enrich our future!
So, have you compare your learning lessons with mine? How many do we have in common?
Please let me know as I would love to share yours and learn from your learning lessons. It will be very interesting and amazing to see your different perspectives of life!
Did you notice what is the acronym of my learning lessons? Let me know if you do!
And now, I am sure that to get the best out of your life and approach it with a positive mindset, at every event, circumstance, emotions, etc which will occur in your life, you will ask the magical and powerful question:
What have a learnt from it?
And don’t forget to take notes and put it in practice as every third of the year, I will write my learning lessons and you will have them ready to compare it with mine and most importantly to give more meaning to your experiences and to live to your life to the full!
To your learning lessons which lead to your success!